Monday, December 31, 2012

Christmas Guest - Ian McQue!

1) What was your first published work?
The first piece I had printed was an ImagineFX tutorial showing how I go about doing one of my flying ship paintings. Not sure if it's available online anywhere but here's the finished image, 'Lightship'. (Top image)

2) Who or what inspires you?
Crikey. To list everything would take forever, but some artists' names off the top of my head, and in no particular order: Chris Foss, Peter Elson, Ralph McQuarrie, Moebius, Brian Froud, Tatsuyuki Tanaka, Koji Morimoto, Kim Jung-Gi, JW Waterhouse, Hayao Miyazaki, Kow Yokoyama, W Heath Robinson, Norman Rockwell, JC Leyendecker, John Blockley, Gustav Dore, Andrew Wyeth, Alphonse Mucha, Claire Wendling, Frank Lloyd Wright, Lebbeus Woods, Alan Lee, Katsuhiro Otomo…

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I'd love to do something with Philip Reeve's 'World of Mortal Engines' series of novels. To be part of a concept team bringing that world to life for a movie would be a dream job, absolutely.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration(s) you've sent?
They're all part of an ongoing world-building process - I don't get to do much 'genre' stuff in my day job so these paintings are an opportunity to engage with fantasy/sci-fi imagery. Not sure where this is all leading to yet, but I'm having fun trying to find out. The painting 'Damnation For Beginners' (third image shown) was created for the book of the same name by Alan Campbell, published by Subterranean Press.


5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I'm looking at having a series of prints produced and also a book made up of my sketches - hoping to make these available in the new year. I'm also busy working on an artbook pulling together all of the 'floating ship' paintings. Aside from that there's an ongoing collaboration with Industria Mechanika who are bringing a bunch of my designs to market as garage kits.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Well, before I went off to art college I had a job delivering toilet rolls around some of the less salubrious parts of northern England, so if this all falls through I guess I could always go back to that?

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
http://mcqueconcept.blogspot.co.uk/
http://ian_mcque.cghub.com/
https://twitter.com/ianmcque
http://instagram.com/ianmcque/

No comments:

Post a Comment