Friday, July 6, 2012

July Guest - Neil Ford!

1) What was your first published work?
I've always drawn and painted, and designed layouts in my business as a web developer of course, but artistically I've really been hiding behind the sofa for the last 10 years as I developed my business.
I was delighted to be asked to do a Futurequake cover last year - and that was the first piece of my art I'd ever seen in print, and not framed on a wall or on screen as part of web site.

2) Who or what inspires you?
Creative people. Anyone who creates honestly & enthusiastically, in any medium. Nothing more uplifting than that for me.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
Well, I love Slaine (2000ad). In particular, the 'Time killer' / 'Slaine the King' era, I tuned out a bit after part one of 'The Horned God' it has to be said. So… if we are DREAMING, I'll channel the spirit of that extraordinary artist Glenn Fabry and draw Time Killer again, just see how the hell he did it the 1st time around!

…and then get on with my own work. :)

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration(s) you've sent?
The two B&W images are some panel line art from my new project 'An Unkindness' , the others are some colour character studies and a colour pin up I did for small press strip, 'Jikan Chronicles' by Dave Candlish.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
As mentioned above, I'm working, (writing & illustrating), on a project at the moment called 'An Unkindness' - It's an episodic story, and I'm envisioning it will be accessible on a number of levels, as it will contain web, print and exhibited elements, with a non-linear narrative linking them all.

Hoping to get it finished this year, but it is a fairly organic [chaotic?] process at the moment. Currently doing the B&W art for the comics strip parts, and will have to paint them up next… so simply loads to do!

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Prior to going self-employed, I had an utterly mad 3 year detour as a local government web communications Oberführer … so without art, ultimately 'Spree killer' would seem likely?

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
I keep a couple of online sketch books here: http://www.neilford.net/journal and here http://www.flickr.com/photos/neil_ford/  and talk poo at @neil_ford on twitter, come and say hello!

No comments:

Post a Comment