Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Eclectic Guest – Bob Byrne!

1) What was your first published work?
Technically my first paid and published work was an awful Italian cat on a pizza delivery menu when I was 16. He had shades and a baseball cap on backwards. Brimming with 'tude.

2) Who or what inspires you?
I love Sergio Aragones, Soft Boy, Antonio Prohias and another Spanish name; Manuel Vazquez Gallego. 

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
Spy vs Spy.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
I made this a couple of years ago. Nick Roche was considering getting a Wacom Cintiq like  Stephen Thompson,Will Sliney and me. The other Micks are all pen and ink suckers so me and the other digital lads were trying to persuade him to make the move. I loved drawing this and taking the piss out of the lads. I thought it would kick off a fun war but nothing happened. Thompson reigning supreme with his superior artistic abilities, Will with his girly eyelashes exhorting the prime advantage of digital production as being able to use dopey 3D buildings with a million windows, me as The Blob talking in Spanish as I just moved over here and I put on a serious amount of weight from eating too much.

I've only met PJ once or twice so all I had on him was the incessant Facebook and Twitter posts about nothing. Then we have Mooney who is the nicest bloke in the world, he's the moral compass of the group. And finally we have Dec Shalvey, I could do a series of posters about slagging him, his leather coat, his problem with pizzas etc but here I went with his done-to-death ink splattering and his love of Eastenders and 'Corrie' as he calls it.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
Sloooowly making more Twisted Tales for 2000AD. They take ages to make. I do a hastily produced webcomic every week too as well as other bits and pieces.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Probably Cognitive Science. I would have loved to have studied that or Linguistics. I really love the idea of how shapes communicate ideas, be it the shapes that make up the Roman alphabet you're reading right now or Japanese or even just a stick man slipping on a banana. It's all very interesting innit.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
www.clamnuts.com/webcomic

No comments:

Post a Comment