Monday, July 18, 2011

July Guest – Robert Thomson!

1) What was your first published work?
My first published work was in a fanzine called Psyklops. That was around the middle of the 1980's. 1984, I think.

2) Who or what inspires you?
I love the craftmanship of artists such as Frank Hampson and Frank Bellamy. Old school artists, I suppose, although any sequential artwork or illustration that's well executed always inspires me to pick up my pens and try harder.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
I suppose with my love of old school artists it would need to be an old school character. Dan Dare would be my choice. I wouldn't mind having a shot at Judge Dredd though. Knowing Dredd he'd probably shoot back.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
This illustration was completed a few years ago when I was still working in Advertising. It remains my favourite because I managed to achieve ( I think) the illusion of depth of field.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I've just finished inking chores on a strip for Total Fear, Curt Sibling's self published anthology comic magazine. Now I'm gearing up to develop some personal projects and also begin working with my long term collaborator Craig Collins, talented Writer and all round good guy, on one or two ideas which, unfortunately, I can't say too much about at the moment.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?

Something creative, I'm sure. I've always been involved in the creative sphere to some extent from Cartooning and Illustration to Advertising and Animation. So something creative, definitely.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?

http://comicscorner.ning.com under my alter ego Tiberius McGregor.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're too kind, Robert!

    Do check out more of Rab's work, he's a ridiculously talented guy.

    ReplyDelete