Monday, October 24, 2011

Guest Post - PJ Holden - Dept. of Monsterology!


1) What was your first published work?
I've a bunch of works I consider 'firsts', but, my first work by a publisher people will have heard of was Holy Cross #3, written by Malachy Coney and published by Fantagraphics in, iirc, 1994. Set in Holy Cross in Northern Ireland and was a sad little tale of two kids who grew up around the troubles.

2) Who or what inspires you?
There's a lot of artists that, when I'm feeling creatively 'tapped out' I'll look at, just to feel like I can find a way back to the drawing board - though I don't think I can really get anywhere near these guys in terms of quality. At the moment it's people like Sean MurphyEric Canete & Duncan Fegredo and many, many more.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
Oh, always be careful of the 'dream job'. Sometimes they can be nightmares. I do like a change, so if I've been drawing something serious my dream job will be something stupid and vice versa. For right now, Dept Of Monsterology is a dream gig. It has things in it Gordon and I have been trying to get into comics for 10 years. 

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
It's a double page spread and part of the 'pitch' document that Gordon and I did to try and find a publisher for Dept Of Monsterology. I think it worked.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I think Strip Magazine should be out now (gypsey curses not with standing) and you should see me there. Robocop/Terminator final issue should be out and, I'm pretty sure that'll be collected in the New Year and Fearless, the book I did for Image comics with Mark Sable and Dave Roth is due out in November. That should keep me on shelves until Monsterology hits.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
Oh pretty easy: I'd be working in computers. That's what I was doing as my day job up until 3 years ago.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
My blog http://www.pauljholden.com/blog and twitter http://www.twitter.com/pauljholden

Don't forget to check out the Dept Of Monsterology Facebook page too! http://www.facebook.com/DeptOfMonsterology

No comments:

Post a Comment