Tuesday, July 19, 2011

July Guest - Neil Roberts!

1) What was your first published work?
My first published work was ‘Bringers of Death’ anthology from Black Library back in 2005. It was a cover I’d done on spec, whilst I was ‘between jobs’ - I’d been wanting to go freelance for a while and they were top of my list of publishers to contact.

2) Who or what inspires you?

Deadlines are the best inspiration. But, creatively? Anything goes. I’ve never wanted to limit myself to a genre or medium, so I’ve always looked at everything as a potential inspiration – holiday snaps, Ian Kennedy, the paintings of Velazquez, Steranko - even the lighting rig on The X Factor. Anything that I can appropriate to make my images look cool is alright by me.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
Well, I’m already doing covers for Black Library, so that’s that one covered. Other than that, I’d love a shot at either the usual US comic houses or if D.C. Thomson ever revived Starblazer – that’d be fun! *nudges D.C Thomson*

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
The piece I’ve sent is a cover for an issue of Zarjaz fanzine from a few years ago – I’d wanted to try something more painterly and this was the perfect opportunity – also it was a smaller format and I wanted to riff on those Starblazer/ Commando cover palettes, very bright, often opposing colours. Plus, I wanted to give Wulf a certain Alan Moore-ness to him, with the intense look, beard and the hair. It seemed a natural fit.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
Well, I’ve got loads of ’Horus Heresy‘ covers in the pipeline – some of them won’t be coming out until next year. I’ve got a few 2000AD covers coming up – a certain evil War-droid will be making an appearance. There’s a few Battletech covers I’ve recently completed. I’ve just done a load of videogame work for a small games company. I’ve got some logos for Maelstrom Games that have just been released.
The list is exhaustive – I’m trying to keep as busy as possible.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
I’d have become a graphic designer or film-maker.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
Sure, my website is updated as and when work is in print – check it out at:
www.skinnyelbows.com
…and a blog of my process and updates of my appearance at signings can be found at:
www.skinnyelbows.blogspot.com
Also, nowadays I’m on Twitter, tweeting my spare time away, you can find me at:
@SkinnyElbows
See you in cyberspace!

No comments:

Post a Comment