Friday, July 13, 2012

July Guest - Paul Bourne!

1) What was your first published work?
My first published work was the cover of a teen sci-fi novel called Mystic Deja back in 2002. I did a few covers for books in the same series, but I'm not sure if they ever saw the light of day.

2) Who or what inspires you?
I really get inspired by other artists, especially people I know. I'm constantly researching new ideas, so when I find a real gem of an image it really fires me up to improve my skills, be it illustration or graphic design.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
There are so may things I'd love to illustrate, but I suppose the big sci-fi hitters like Star Trek of Star Wars would be high up on the list. I'm a big horror fan too, and worked on a few great horror books, so to get free reign on another horror project would be ideal too.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration(s) you've sent?
The first one is the cover for Mindjammer by Sarah Newton, published by Cubicle 7. Like a good majority of my illustrations, it's a combination of 2d and 3d work. The galaxy and planet background were created in Photoshop. The ships and space station were modelled and rendered in Maya, then brought into Photoshop for final compositing of the image and post-production.

5) What can we expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?
I'm currently working on a couple of Doctor Who projects for Cubicle 7, which is taking up the majority of my time at the moment. There's some exciting stuff coming up after that, but I'm not allowed to talk about it:)

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?
I was a Cvil Servant for many years before going full time as an artist. That life is definitely not something I could go back to. If I could go back and start again, (and artist wasn't an option), it would have to be something creative no matter what..

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?
I don't have a website to speak of at the moment, but I've got a couple of public galleries on my Facebook page that I try to update on a regular basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment