Monday, July 4, 2011

July Guest - James Ryman!

1) What was your first published work?
I did a cover for Marvel UK’s ‘Overkill’ back in 1993. It was pre-email and internet and I remember that I sent the original off in the mail and they sent it back for revisions, and then I had to send it back again. The approval process is a little more streamlined these days. I never did get the original back either, the bastards.

2) Who or what inspires you?

Most days I check out what’s new on sites like CGHub, Deviant Art, people I’m connnected with on Facebook etc and there’s always new and exciting work to see. I’m also inspired by a deep fear of not being able to pay my mortgage, I find that a great motivator.

3) What would be your dream job to illustrate?
A project that I could personally conceive and fund.

4) Tell us a bit about the illustration you've sent?
This illustration is one of my favourites from the last batch I did for Sony Onlines PoxNora. It’s a straight forward composition and pose, but I enjoy painting demons and evil stuff in general.

5) What can he expect to see from you next (what are you working on)?

I’m currently working on some Magic the Gathering illustartions and more stuff for the World of Warcraft TCG. I‘m also just finishing off another set of Zombie illustrations for a 2012 calendar.

6) If you hadn't become an artist what do you think you'd have ended up doing?

I really don’t know, I’ve only ever wanted to draw stuff for a living.

7) Where can we see more of your work (web links)?

http://jamesryman.blogspot.com/
http://namesjames.deviantart.com/
http://namesjames.cghub.com/

2 comments: