Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Neil Armstrong 1930-2012

Moon_GNREID.jpg, www.gnreid.co.uk This week a photograph and a repost of one of my first posts on Scotch Corner. You'll not have missed the news that Neil Armstrong passed away on the 25th and I had hoped to do an illustration of him as a small mark of respect for the man in time for todays post, but work and life have interceded once again and I will add his name to the growing list of those passed on that I will eventually draw a dedication to.

The photograph of the Moon I can lay claim to being my own, taken back in February. I have long envied those who can capture a decent shot of the Moon and having limited photographic resources to hand this effort is my best to date. The painting was done in 2009 to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the first Moon landing which the good Mission Commander Armstrong played such a World changing part of.

I've held a love for mankind's ventures into space from a very early age, I remember being taken into the primary school hall to watch the launch of the first Space Shuttle, Columbia back in 1981. It may very well have been a recording we watched but most of the school was there so I recall it as being shown live and from that point I was hooked. That fascination was doubled when I discovered I had a distant relative who was a NASA astronaut and flew in five shuttle missions, of course none of my school friends believed me about that :)

I shouldn't need to tell anyone about Neil Armstrong or what he did, surely he's just part of World culture like Elvis Presley, Albert Einstein, Muhammad Ali etc. just known and never ever to be forgotten. I'm pretty sure my middle name wasn't given to me for any other reason than my parents liked it but as a kid I used to hope it was because of the first man on the moon.

Walking on the Moon
From the Armstrong family statement: "For those who may ask what they can do to honor Neil, we have a simple request. Honor his example of service, accomplishment and modesty, and the next time you walk outside on a clear night and see the moon smiling down at you, think of Neil Armstrong and give him a wink."

No comments:

Post a Comment