Sunday, March 6, 2011

Memories are made of this...

These are a couple of the oldest drawings I still have. I spent the school summer holidays between 2nd and 3rd year just churning out one of these practically every day. A big thing for me when I'm drawing has always been the radio for company and a drawing seems to act as a time capsule when I look at it again. The music that was playing, what was going on in my life, everything from that time is captured in the drawing and comes flooding back whenever I look at it again.

Photobucket

I've asked a few people in the past if they get a similar time capsule effect from their old drawings but they don't really seem to.

Photobucket

So for me these pictures ring out Dexy's Midnight Runners, Come on Eileen, Survivor, Eye of the Tiger, Rocky 3 is in the Cinema and the Falklands war has just recently come to an end.

1 comment:

  1. Ah the Wars… Stars and Falklands I guess. Only early illustrations remind me of the era of drawing them, I guess sat at my parents dining table drawing away I saw more of life wandering about the house but once I had my own room to draw it all merges together. Almost to the point that I have next to no recollection on some illustrations. Music I remember better as you had to physically place the stylus onto vinyl back then to hear anything so picking an album to listen to made you more aware of the music and the bands you listened to.

    ReplyDelete